Friday, November 2, 2007

Adding On

I keep forgetting who we've told and who we haven't told about our adoption. I keep thinking we've told everyone, then we run across someone that for some reason or another we haven't told. For example, every year our neighborhood has a great big Halloween block party. Everyone comes to the block party, then when it gets dark, the kids scatter and start their trick-or-treating. Not only are we adopting, but we are also going to add on an office/spare bedroom to our house. Our family room has high ceilings that go all the way to the second story. We're going to floor it (put a lower ceiling on) so that the new room will be upstairs. Scott had told one of our neighbors up the street that we're adding on. So I'm standing between two neighbors at the party when one asks about how are adoption is going. I tell her that we're done with the paperwork and that we're on the wait list and that we're very excited. I never said the word 'adoption' so I guess the exact same answer could be applied to our house addition. I guess my other neighbor didn't hear the question because about five seconds later, she says to me "So, Scott tells me you're adding on." Then she goes on saying "That's the best thing I've heard anyone doing! I wish we could have done it ourselves." Then I say, "Wow, we normally get really positive responses, but that's the best response yet!" I'm thinking she's talking about the adoption. She then kind of had a blank look on her face when I realize she's talking about the house. For some reason, the news of our adoption hadn't spread to her. Scott and I just keep going around, assuming everyone already knows. My apologies to anyone we haven't told. We haven't intentionally not told anyone, we just keep thinking we already have told everyone. Also, within our group of friends, news sometimes travels rather fast. So we've figured that if we didn't say something, then it has already traveled through the grapevine. So here it is, we're adding on 1) another child and 2) another room.

No comments: